Sunday, October 08, 2006

LIANG ZHU 9 Parting

Yingtai has been summoned to return by her parents. She is ready to leave and Shanbo has insisted that he accompanies her part of the way. Yin Xin and Si Jiu enter with two or three bundles. Si Jiu offers to help Yin Xin.

Si Jiu:
Here, Yin Xin, let me help you with some of that. Then you won’t feel too tired.

Yin Xin:
I won’t be too tired, Si Jiu, but thanks for asking.

Si Jiu:
I wonder how far my master will accompany Master Yingtai. I hope it will be as far as the pavilion where they first met.

[Shanbo and Yingtai enter. Their theme song comes up sad and full of pathos. They walk together, unable to express the turmoil within – so many things to say but so few words to say them with. They move together as if setting out on a journey: Dance of the Lovers. Unable to contain his feelings, Shanbo finds expression in poetry.]

Shanbo:
White clouds sail across the sky but no birds want to fly
The stream has been laughing but friends must say goodbye

Yingtai:
Autumn leaves fall in sorrow; falling to winter’s coming
The earth sleeps silent, waiting to greet the smile of spring

Shanbo:
The bamboo seeks the sky; sets its hopes so high
The willow bends and sighs, only the river hears it cry

Yingtai:
The wind knows the bamboo, softly its praises whistling
The river hears the willow, gurgles to its sighing

[They have reached the pavilion of destiny where they first met. Yin Xin and Si Jiu put down their luggage and sit by a tree, quietly watching their two masters – each feeling sad but not daring to voice their feelings. Shanbo and Yingtai enter and look around them, refreshed by the change of the surrounding trees and yet, sad at their imminent parting.]

Yingtai:
This is where we first met, Shanbo. Two scholars searching the path to knowledge…

Shanbo:
This is where we first met, Yingtai. Two friends bowing to each other with deep affinity… three autumns… [there is a lump in his throat]

Yingtai:
Three autumns: each one lovelier than the last. Under the moon, we set brush to paper, composed poems to windsong and zither, raised cups together as friends and brothers.

Shanbo:
Too soon the years have flown… we’ve filled our hearts with laughter, forgetting that this day will come… now duty has come calling, and return you must…

Yingtai:
Too deep our affection has grown… and now parting brings us sorrow, wishing there should be no tomorrow.

[There is a moment of silence. Both are thinking about what each will do without the other. Their eyes meet for a moment of eternity.]

Shanbo:
In a few days I will have to sit for the civil examination. If not for that, I will gladly accompany you all the way home… [He breaks off, unable to speak…] When I succeed in winning a position as magistrate’s officer, I shall come and visit you…

Yingtai:
Then when you come, Shanbo, I shall give you my twin sister’s hand in marriage so that our affection for each other will be sealed.

Shanbo: [he is speechless for a moment]
How generous you are, Yingtai. I am feeling sad and silly having to say goodbye to a good friend, and you are making me happy by offering your sister in marriage to me… how can I be so deserving?

Yingtai:
By just being you, Shanbo, patient, kindhearted, simple, honest and sincere…

Shanbo:
But how will she like me?

Yingtai:
Let me be the matchmaker. She is my twin sister and bound to like whom I like. She is a bit shy but when I tell her about you, she will accept you wholeheartedly.

Shanbo
When should I come to visit you, then?

Yingtai:
As soon as possible. As soon as you have achieved your position in court, come in your officer’s garb and claim my sister’s hand. This is a vow I am making to you now, sealing our affection and friendship.

Shanbo:
I accept, Yingtai. Let it be as you have spoken.

[There is a pause.]

Yingtai:
Now Shanbo, I must be on my way…

Shanbo:
And I must be on my way…

[Yingtai exits with Yin Xin as Shanbo and Si Jiu watch them go. Shanbo raises his hand to wave goodbye but then there is such a deep sense of emptiness that he lets it fall down by his side immediately. The theme music comes up again as the scene fades to black.]

No comments: