Sunday, October 08, 2006

LIANG ZHU 5 The Pavilion of Destiny

Enter the storyteller with a bundle on his back… the scene is one of tranquil beauty. A running brook with two willows leaning over it…a pavilion in the near distance, surrounded by flowering shrubs… and in the far distance, rolling hills that look blue behind their misty shroud. He puts his bundle down and sighs with relief… and takes out a clacker and begins to snap a rhythm with it…

Storyteller:
It’s me again. I am traveling with my master Liang Shanbo. We are on our way to Hangzhou in search of that great master Zhou Sijang. My master has asked me to run ahead of him to see if there is a place where we can rest for a while. And as you can see, there it is… the pavilion of destiny. I am here now, and you are here… but my master is not here yet… so let me tell you something about Liang Shanbo… [he uses the clacker… clack! Clack… clack clack!]

Liang Shanbo Liang Shanbo
Here’s the story of my Liang Shanbo
Dutiful son, loved by all
Loves to read, music even more
Thinks a lot but smiles for all
Gentlemanly to the core
O Liang Shanbo Liang Shanbo
That’s my master Liang Shanbo
Birds and flowers, he loves them all
Hills and clouds, more he adores
Thinks of study from spring to fall
O’er every good book he will pore
My Liang Shanbo Liang Shanbo
Who wouldn’t love my Liang Shanbo…

[Enter Liang Shanbo, a youth of eighteen, fresh faced, bright eyes, sprightly step with a touch of restraint… at the moment, he is filled with the excitement of finally going to Hangzhou to study under the great master Zhou.]

Liang Shanbo:
White clouds sail across the sky
Birds are winging high and free
Leaves are waving, trees are swaying
Flowers blooming wild and free
Wind is swinging the willow
The willow bows so courteously
And the brook it sings so joyously
All around me, tis heaven’s beauty
That I’ve never seen…

Si Jiu, did you find us a place to rest awhile…?

Si Jiu:
[sotto voce] that’s my name. [to Liang Shanbo] Yes, master…

Shanbo:
And here you are… did you find a place…

Si Jiu:
There it is, master. A pavilion just right for you…

Shanbo:
Why, how fortunate we are… it seems to stand there waiting for us to enjoy this place with ease… who will share this beautiful place with me? I suppose it will only have to be you, Si Jiu…

Si Jiu:
Perhaps not, master… [Enter Yin Xin and Yingtai dressed as men. Yin Xin wears a grey servants jacket and black pants while Yingtai is in a long scholar’s dress of light green silk. And she holds a fan.] Looks like, you may have company after all…

[Yin Xin has noticed the two men at the pavilion, and points them out to Yingtai. They hesitate to impose upon Shanbo as general courtesy to strangers requires one to be respectful of other people’s privacy. Shanbo, seeing that Yingtai is dressed like a scholar and a gentleman, decides to invite Yingtai to share the pavilion.]

Shanbo:
May I ask this gentle brother if he has come a long way? And if that is so, he must be tired and in need of rest. Let me invite him with great respect to share this beautiful pavilion with humble me…

Yingtai:
Indeed, gentle brother, you are most kind. I have walked a long way… it is true. And in great need of a place to rest. Your invitation I will accept with deep gratitude… but I hope I will not be imposing upon you too much…

Shanbo:
O please! Not at all… not at all.
Every journey brings new awakenings…
the heart must strive for understanding…
a man who sees beauty but walks in loneliness,
must share it with another to enjoy happiness…

Yingtai:
A poet! How fortunate for me.
I thought a lonely path I’d be walking…
to reach what my heart was keen on achieving…
but now a kindred spirit has blessed my journey,
heaven is kind indeed to brighten my destiny…

Shanbo:
May I ask, gentle brother… what is your respected name? And which way are you going?

Yingtai:
My family, good brother, comes from the Zhu village, and my name is Yingtai. I am on my way to Hangzhou, to the great master Zhou Sijang under whom I hope to study…

Shanbo:
Marvelous! What luck! I am going there, too. O please forgive my lack of manners… Your humble brother comes from the Liang village, and my name is Shanbo. I too have hopes to study under master Zhou Sijang… Perhaps we can travel together. In the company of a good friend, time flows like a running brook, and a long journey is shortened with cheerful conversation…

Yingtai:
Let it be as you wish, brother Liang… I am in need of good company myself. Meeting a man of honour is akin to finding treasure…

Shanbo:
How courteous you are, brother Zhu. Today, fortune is smiling on me… and look around us, it seems the whole world is smiling with colour and light…

Yingtai:
You are so happy, brother Liang, and how is fortune smiling on you?

Shanbo:
I am an only son and have always wished for a brother with whom I can share my thoughts and ideas… it appears that my wish has been granted…

Yingtai:
Surely, you do me too much honour, brother Liang…

Shanbo:
I think I may have embarrassed you with my frankness… please forgive me…

Yingtai:
Please say not so…

Shanbo:
Something inside tells me that henceforth I shall be happy…
[he begins to sing and his song is picked up by Yingtai. Together they stroll into the distance, with Si Jiu and Yin Xin following]

White clouds sail across the sky
Birds are winging high and free
Leaves are waving, trees are swaying
Flowers blooming wild and free
Wind is swinging the willow
The willow…

Yingtai:
…..bows so courteously
And the brook…

Shanbo:
….. it sings so joyously

Both:
All around me, tis heaven’s beauty
That I’ve never seen…

No comments: